Welcome to Otahuna Horse Riding
We teach and apply the principles of natural horsemanship using the horse's own language. Otahuna Horse Riding is operated by Kate Tapley, a leading practitioner of natural horsemanship and horse trekking.
Kate or one of her trained Trek Guides will
lead you on our
native forest, over the Port Hills with impressive panoramic views
of the Canterbury Plains, Southern Alps and Lake Ellesmere.
You will Learn:
- How Horses think
- To overcome your fear of horses
- To communicate easily with your horse
- One and a half-hour to all day treks, small riding groups (6 max)
- Lessons and Clinics
- Saddle Club for young riders
- Holiday Programmes
- Becoming a Confident Horsey Parent A Course for Parents
- Team Building & Leadership training
- Overnight ride to Governors Bay and return
- Equine Assisted Earthquake Recovery
Book your own Trek Guide or join a group.
Bookings and fees.
Our guides will match you with a horse that suits your build and
riding experience then enhance your connection with your horse,
during a partnering-up session at the beginning of your ride.
Treks are suitable for adults, young people and children with all levels of experience. The horses are all naturally trained, and kind.
We ride in natural rope halters. No bits. This promotes communication rather than force
Contact us and we will be pleased to discuss your riding needs and make your ride happen for you just how you want it.